Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Pie Tuesday!!!


So its back to the grind for me. I went on a late night super market trip last night armed with a meal plan for the week and my dads card (the fool). I came back with oodles of fresh produce, lean meat and a new running outfit and t-shirts, whoops! Oh and new running headphones, so there is nothing to stop me getting back on track! Moving on:

It’s pie Tuesday!!!!

Everyone loves pie. Pie brings happiness to peoples lives. It just doesn’t always bring the same happiness to the number on the scales. This lemon meringue pie addresses this problem at approx 200 calories (tracking down UK ingredients on recipe calculators can be a nightmare). I used a HUGE flan tin and I think we ended up cutting it into 10-12 pieces! Its loosely based on this recipe.

 

The Base

70g butter

250g digestive biscuits (graham crackers are a good substitute)

1 ½ tbs water

 

Filling

1 egg (whisked)

1 cup sweetener

 ½ cup sugar

½ cup lemon juice (I think I ended up using a lot more!)

¾ cup corn flour

2 cups water

 

Meringue

5 egg whites

1/8tsp cream of tartar

1 cup sweetener

¼ cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla

 

Grind biscuit. Melt butter and mix with biscuit and water and line pan. Bake for c.10mins @ 180.
 

For the filling:

Combine splenda, sugar and corn flour. Add water and stir until dissolved.

Slowly heat over a water bath, stirring frequently. It will thicken but it will take a painfully long time.

Stir in whisked egg. Again it will thicken more, but it will feel like it takes a millennium, it will happen so don’t start to panic (I may or not have panicked). Finally add in the lemon juice.
 

Pour into base and allow to set.

 


Meringue

Combine egg whites with cream of tartar and beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add in sugar/sweetener. Continue to beat until it forms stiff beaks (save yourself and use an eclectic mixer), finally add in vanilla.

Cover pie and bake for 10-12mins.
 

Then attempt to limit yourself to 1 slice.
Enjoy!
 

3 comments:

  1. YUMMERS! This is my Mom's favourite! I'm going to have to make this one for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg I must make this! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete