Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Pie Tuesday!


Today’s special addition of pie Tuesday comes to you courtesy of : stuff that was in the fridge that desperately needed using! Let me explain, we were given a bag of apples from someones apple tree in their garden a couple of weeks agot, I stuck them in a cupboard and completely forgot about them, until yesterday when I stumbled across them and realised that the needed to be used immediately, and as today is pie Tuesday I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and make apple pie.

Today’s pie recipie is loosely based on this this one.

For the base I used ½ a pack of just roll pastry, rolled out really thinly. Because whilst the base in the original recipie is a great low-cal option it didn’t go down so well with my family. I just baked it in the oven for 12 or so minutes then left it to cool.
 
 

For the filling:

8 cups of apples, peeled and thinly sliced

¼ cup brown sugar

1tbsp splenda

2tbsp cornstarch

2 tsp cinnamon

2tsp lemon juice

Generous dash of vanilla essence

1 ½ cups of water

Mix all the ingredients (except the apples) in a pan over a low heat. Stir continuously until everything is dissolved.

Add the apples and turn up the heat. Stirring continuously for 15 minutes until the apples soften and the liquid thickens (I was a bit impatient at this stage and probably didn’t let it thicken quite enough).


Carefully transfer to your pie dish and smooth out. Then bung it in the oven for 25 minutes.


 
Remove and allow to cool before slicing, I was impatient so I tried to  do it hot which got aa bit messy. Also I cut mine into 12 slices because I wanted to beable to have vanilla frozen yogurt with it. SO if you cut it into 12 it’s only 173 calories a slice but I think 9 splices is probably more reasonable and then its 208 calories a slice.
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment