Saturday, 26 April 2014

a very late Easter weekend re-cap

Firstly I said I’d be doing more posts and then disappeared for a few days. 

Let me explain. 

I LOVE working to music. In fact if I need to really knuckle down and do some work it has be Paul Simon and Phil Collins (a habbit developed when I was 15 I haven’t been able to shake). Anyway asides from serious work I always love music in the background regardless. Problem is my laptop is dying. The keyboard has already been replaced once and some of the keys are starting to dislodge again (I seriously have no idea what I do to them), the cd drive no, longer works (I have an external one), same goes for the mouse but the most problematic failing is the sound. The speakers no-longer work at all, and for a while I could get away with listening via-headphones, but now the headphone port is getting extremely temperamental, it has to be in the exact right position and apparently it can no-longer cope with you typing, or rather resting your wrist on the edge of the lap top whist you type, instead you have to suspend your hands above keyboard which results in a hunt and peck style of typing, not good. Anyway, that's my excuse!

Sooooo I was racking my brains for something to tell you (other than my laptop woes) and it dawned on me I haven’t told you about my Easter. I’m currently on a break from work, the next stint starts in a week. So the Monday before Easter I came home, and my parents left for a wee holiday (I’ve tried not to take the timing personally). I had a few blissful days to myself before my brother announced that he was coming home (not to see me obviously, but the village pub, priorities people).
Anyway, he came home on his motorbike for the first time, after an all night shift. As ever demonstrating EXCELLENT decision making skills. And proceeded to go straight to bed, well, after he managed to coerce me into doing some laundry for him whist he was sleeping (still not sure how he pulled this off). He woke up in time to go to the pub, and Saturday was pretty much a rinse and repeat. 

When I woke up Sunday the house stank, he burnt the pizza he decided to cook thanks to the drunken munchiees, the smell still lingers despite the bazillion candles I've been burning. I got back from Church to find him feeling a tad worse for the wear, and basically in no fit state to drive back down to Manchester for work that evening. So I drove him, in return for starbucks, what can I say I’m a cheap bribe. 

Before leaving, I asked him if he knew the way, he claimed he did. Spoiler alert he didn't! We ended up taking a scenic detour through Manchester city centre (idiot). Anyway, I think I’m just dumping him at his flat, silly naive me. What actually happened was I had to wait whilst he showered and got ready for work and then give him a lift there. Well, I have no idea where his work is in relation to the rest of Manchester (which to be honest isn’t saying much, I find Manchester a super confusing city). And the GPS on my phone was refusing to co-operate and I managed to get VERY VERY lost! In fact I got so lost that I had to stop and get petrol (OK I probably would have needed to do that  anyway). And proceeded to have an extremely awkward conversation with the petrol station guy:

Guy:  Pump?
Me : 5 please (normal thus far)
Guy: Chocolate?
Me: no thanks
Guy: Cola, its on offer?
Me: no ta, just the petrol
Guy: did you know it’s your Easter today (he was foreign which I’m assuming is why he said “your” easter, sorry I digress)
Me: Yup (with accompanying awkward smile)
Guy: you live local?
Me: nope just dropping off my little brother, do i just put my card in the reader (desperate attempt to steer the conversation back to the petrol, because where else would your card go other than in the card reader, its one of my pet hates when cashiers say just put your card in the card reader, I always want to reply snarkily)
Guy: you visit him often?
Me: not if I can help it
Guy: You’re looking very nice today
Me: errrrrrrm thanks?
Guy: pretty dress
Me: I quite like it, right byeeeeee (flees the scene quickly)

This really doesn't do justice to just how uncomfortable and awkward an interaction it was! I then proceeded to eat an entire bar of chocolate to recover from the whole ordeal.
I find dealing with general members of public awkward sometimes, maybe I should reconsider going into community engagement after all?
And then discovered I had gotten so lost I’d crossed the city boundary into Southport, which actually made it easier to find my way back to the motorway!
Right I think that’s quite enough for one day,

Toodles!

2 comments:

  1. Was he cute? Why did you run away! Oh Kirsty, you're too funny. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I would have freaked out at that whole scenario as well! And your brother... sigh.

    ReplyDelete