Tuesday, 16 September 2014

I've been keeping a secret.....

Reg and I are tree huggers.

Him literally:


Me more metaphorically (although sometimes I do indulge). My family have even accused me of being a professional hippy.

At this point I realise you're all scratching your heads in confusion over the blog title. 

See I've gone vegan. Well sort of. I'm still eating fish, which is distinctly not vegan. But I'm not eating other meat, or eggs or dairy. I've been dabbling with it on and off for a while. But I'm going to give it a real go for 3 months. After that I may re-introduce meat on occasion, or not who knows.

Anyway, I'm sure you wondering why I'm doing this when bacon exists. I do wonder this myself occasionally. It's a mix of reasons. I've been trying to reduce the amount of meat I eat in general for a long time for environmental reasons. A plant based diet produces far less greenhouse gas emissions and uses a lot less water. 

Then I tried veganism for a couple of weeks and I noticed that my eczema started to clear up. I didn't make the connection immediately until I returned to my normal diet and it came back.

So between the guilt of knowing that the best thing I can do for the environment i kick my bacon habit and the allure of clearing up my eczema I've finally taken the plunge.

Having said that I'm not being super strict, I'm still occasionally eating fish. And I'm still eating Quorn, a meat substitute which isn't vegan because it does contain a little egg white.

Anyho, I think that's everything, please don't hate me for crossing over to the dark side ;p

Toodles

2 comments:

  1. Ahh I think its awesome! Kudos to you for trying this and I hope it works out for you. I've been wondering with all the world watching Scotland this week, where you stand on the "Stay or Go"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for doing this! I'd have a very had time giving up meat, I love it so very much. I'd like to try being a vegetarian for a week and see how it went. I'm sure I'd discover lots of new foods I didn't realize were out there before! :)

    PS, post some recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete